Timing is everything! Your skin has a daily schedule and understanding your skins' needs will increase the effectiveness of your skincare products, exercise routine and sleep schedule:
7 am – 10 am
- This is the prime time for puffiness and creases, as lymphatic fluid pools while you sleep, especially under the eyes. So try a cold compress and apply Eye Wonder Eye Cream ($42) The triple action, peptide formula helps reduce the look of dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles.
- Skin is at its most sensitive right now, so save the exfoliating and pimple squeezing for later.
10 am – 1 pm
- During this period, our levels of adrenaline (which fight stress) and endorphins (natural painkillers) are highest, making it the perfect time for ouch-inducing treatments like laser hair removal or waxing.
1 pm – 3 pm
- These are the hours when the skin is at its best and the natural barriers are functioning optimally, making it the best time of the day for chemical peels and microdermabrasion.
- However, this also the time when you face peak sun damage. Twenty minutes in the midday sun can cause more skin damage than two hours in the early morning, so reapply the SPF.
3 pm – 5 pm
- There is a reason behind the dreaded afternoon oil slick: Oil-producing glands pump out twice as much at this time, compared to the rest of the day. Soak up up the shine with blotting papers, then apply a thin layer of Face Base Oil-Free Foundation ($25)
5 pm – 7 pm
- This is the best time to hit the gym, your energy levels are high and muscles and joints are at their warmest, lessening chances of injury.
7 pm – 9 pm
- Blood vessels are at their most dilated now, making us go red most easily. So make sure you use some concealer to hide the flush. Wonders Of The World Concealer ($17) corrects and covers redness, shadows and blemishes.
9 pm – 11 pm
- Your skin is more receptive in the evening, when skin temperature is higher and the surface layer more porous, allowing for greater penetration of active ingredients. Start by washing away makeup and grime to prevent clogged pores with Detox Purifying Facial Cleanser ($24). Now is also an ideal time for a great exfoliation treatment like Brighten Up ($34) which will improve skin texture for brighter looking skin immediately.
- The hormone that triggers sleep – melatonin – peaks at around this time, making 11 pm the hour we should go to bed for maximum skin benefits. The whole cycle starts again in the morning!